An Encounter with Laura Ward

By Liza Tanopo
A Child's Journey

I’ve always believed what Father Armand said during his homily in one of those Eucharistic celebrations he presided, that “Prayer in silence is always answered….” For indeed, it was last Wednesday, March 26, when Irene texted me and informed me about YUPPEACE Easter celebration with sexually abused young girls at Laura Vicuña Center (LVC) that weekend. More than seeing old friends, spending a while with the girls would be an extra-ordinary experience, if I may say, and that’s exactly what I prayed for – to spend quality time with the last, the least, and the lost, as Fr. Anton Pascual, formerly of Sto. Niño de Paz Chapel at Greenbelt, puts it. Little did I know that somehow there would be twist, what you may call a nudge from Christ.


Saturday came and I was supposed to meet Ging at the MRT Station – Araneta, Cubao but just in the nick of time, I decided to call up Avic who lives nearby and told her that I’d be joining the activity. When we got there, seeing old familiar faces made me feel I was home at last after being away for quite sometime. I realized how much I missed everyone in the community and the YUPPPEACE spirituality.

Soon after, we were ushered in by one of the FMA sisters. While waiting for the whole program to start, I was reminded of the boys at Tuloy sa Don Bosco where I was once a volunteer-tutor. Basically, we have one thing in common – we are all wounded children. 


Shortly, the program begun with the girls animating their “national anthem” and the “rite of passage” for the visitors, followed by another beautiful song aptly titled “The Journey,” which depicts what they’ve been through, how they’re coping up with their pains, and what lies ahead for them. Every lyric of the song brought tears into almost everyone’s eyes, and then scenes from the “Inner-Child Healing Retreat,” the body-mapping and the catharsis, flashed back all at once. The elders from the Miraculous Medal Apostolate group could not also hold back their tears. It must have been a pitiful sight seeing those young girls in the hands of their tormentors who happened to be a member of their immediate family or a relative or a family friend.

The ratio was almost perfect as each YUPPEACE member was assigned a child during the encounter. Using different media, every LVC girl was asked who her idol was and why, and what each of them wanted to be someday. While working on their “obra maestra,” they talked about their “nightmare” they’d rather forget.

Finally, the whole activity ended. During the evaluation, and based on the feedbacks from fellow YUPPEACE, most of us felt the need to take another step, perhaps towards inner-healing and healing of memories, not necessarily of those young girls, but what could be our very own. After all, it’s a journey….


“What a journey it has been, and the end is not in sight. But the stars are out tonight, and they’re bound to guide my way… When they’re shining on my life, I can see a better day. I won’t let the darkness in, what a journey it has been…”

Photo c/o fOtografiK minD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pain of Hoping, The Agony of Praying Amidst This Pandemic

Prayer for Guidance from the Holy Spirit